The cool weather is here and bringing with it plenty of warm, gooey, and delicious breakfast options. Try this great cinnamon-date bun recipe to feed your family, friends, or house guests this season! This recipe is favored by many and a great go-to for a sweet breakfast treat!
What You Will Need To Make Cinnamon – Date Buns
To Make the Date Filling, You Will Need The Following:
9 ounces of dates, pitted
¼ teaspoon salt
1 stick of unsalted butter
2 teaspoons orange zest
2 teaspoons cinnamon
To Make The Bun Dough, You Will Need The Following:
1/2 cup milk
6 tablespoons of honey
2 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
3 large egg yolks
2 large eggs
½ cup buttermilk
1 cup spelt flour
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1 stick unsalted butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
How To Make Cinnamon Date Buns
- In a medium sauce pan, add 1 1/3 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the dates in with ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Once boiling, turn down your heat so that the water remains at a simmer.
- Then, stir occasionally and mash the dates as you are stirring.
- Once the dates are falling apart, and most of the water is gone, you should have a thick paste in the pan.
- Shut off the heat and let the date paste cool for roughly 10 minutes.
- Then, add in the stick of butter, at room temperature, the orange zest, and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
- Stir well.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add ½ cup of milk with 1 ½ tablespoons of honey.
- Warm in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Add the milk and honey mixture to your mixer.
- Add the yeast to the mixer and mix well for 6 minutes.
- Then, add the 3 egg yolks and 1 egg, buttermilk, and spelt flour. Mix well.
- Next, add the salt, 2 cups of flour, and the rest of the honey. Mix well for 8 minutes.
- Next add the stick of butter and mix well.
- Put the dough in a medium bowl and use a brush to dab on some melted butter.
- Leave covered with plastic wrap for 1.5 hours.
- Then, roll dough out into a large rectangle.
- Use all of the date filling to spread it all around this rectangle of dough.
- Cut the dough into triangles
- Taking the small angle of the triangle, roll up like a crescent roll.
- Repeat these steps until all of the triangles are rolled up.
- Place the rolls in a pan and cover with plastic for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl add sugar, remaining eggs, and cinnamon. Wisk all of these ingredients together and brush over the buns.
- Bake the buns for 20 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Let cool and enjoy!