Pork shoulder is one of the most commonly consumed area of the pig. It is the top of the front let and is very versatile. You can use this cut to make a pot roast or cut it up to put in a stew, or smoke it to make a great barbeque! In most cases, no matter how it is cooked, whether it is roasted, braised, or barbequed, it will become a very flavorful meat.
And, the best part—it is not very expensive! When cooking pork, it is extremely important that it is fully cooked when you consume it. You will know when it is cooked when the thermometer reads 160 degrees Fahrenheit on your meat thermometer.
What You Will Need to Make Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder recipe with Mustard and Sage
5-6 pounds of bone-in pork shoulder
1 cup Dijon mustard
½ cup of fresh sage
5 garlic cloves, chopped
How To Make Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder with Mustard and Sage
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place the pork in a large roasting pan
- Season pork with salt and pepper
- In a small mixing bowl, add the sage, mustard, and garlic. Mix well.
- Use a brush to spread the mustard sauce all over the pork, making sure you get it in all the crevices.
- Then, make sure that the pork is fat side up and place in the oven.
- Let roast for 5.5 hours, until the pork is browned and tender.
- Every hour, you will want to collect all the juices in the bottom of the pan with a baster and drench the pork with it.
- Remove the pork from the oven and let it sit for approximately 10 minutes. At this point the pork should be extremely tender and pull apart very easily.
Roasted pork is a very popular dish. For those looking to break away from this recipe, you can always try to make this in a crock pot. Cooking it in a crock pot will allow you to cook it at a lower temperature and for a longer amount of time so that the pork can absorb more of the flavor. Also, feel free to experiment with different spices to bring out the fantastic flavor of the pork. Some people will add apples to this recipe!
Another benefit of making this dish is that if you have leftovers you can use the pork to make a great stew. The mustard and the spices will be great addition to any soup to make it full of flavor. With the cold months coming, stews are going to be a popular dish. Whether you are cooking for a dinner party or your family, this will be a great go-to meal that, while it does take a long time to make, you can put it in the oven during your lunch break and it will be done by dinner time!
Image Credit: iStock
Will you try this pork shoulder recipe?