When many people here “ramen,” I think they automatically think of the ramen noodles packages that seem to be a part of most college students’ weekly diet- as it is cheap and flavorful, yet very high in sodium and offers little to no vitamins or nutrients. Yet, this recipe calls for ramen, which is not the same as the above “ramen noodles” discussed above.
Yet, it is similar. Ramen is a Japanese noodle soup that has a meat or fish based broth. It is found commonly throughout Japan as well as ain China. The noodles are made from wheat flour, salt, and water, where the noodles often have a yellowish color and are kind of firm. They can be a variety of different lengths, widths, and thicknesses.
What you will need to make Ramen with Smoked Turkey Broth
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 large onion, chopped in ½ inch chunks
6 garlic cloves
8 cups of turkey broth, made from smoked turkey
1 box of spaghetti
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
1 cup kimchi
3 baby bok choy
How to Make Ramen with Smoked Turkey Broth
- In a large pot add 7 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the bok choy to the boiling water
- Cook for 1 minute
- Strain from water, keeping the water.
- Add the water back to the pot and return to a boil.
- Drop eggs into the boiling water and hard boil them, cooking them for 6 minutes.
- Remove eggs from boiling water, keeping the water, and immediately drop in a bowl with water and ice.
- Peel the eggs and slice them.
- Bring the water back to a boil and cook the spaghetti. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the back of the box so that it is cooked to your liking. Many people prefer their pasta to be cooked al dente, however other people prefer it to be soft and cooked for a longer amount of time.
- Drain the spaghetti from the water and put in a large bowl.
- Mix the sesame oil with the pasta.
- Then divide the pasta into serving bowls.
- Add the kimchi, bok choy, and eggs to the bowls.
- In a pot, add the turkey broth with the olive oil, onion, and garlic cloves.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle this broth into the pasta bowls.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
If you want to deviate from the recipe, some people prefer to add more spices and flavors to the broth. Jalapenos are a common addition, as well as plenty of soy sauce. You can also add cilantro, lemon grass, and ginger, which are very common ingredients for ramen. If you please, you can also add chunks of the turkey in the ramen soup.